Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Unabridged vs. Abridged

Do you care if your classics are abridged or unabridged?

Personally I try to never read an abridged version if an unabridged version is available. I would rather read the story as it was meant to be told. I try to not even purchase abridged editions because I probably won't read them since I would rather read the unabridged classic. The only exception to this rule is that one of the black dustjacket Barnes & Noble classics is abridged. For the sake of the set I had to purchase it. After all I did want to collect all of the volumes. I will probably not read it though as I could easily find an unabridged copy to satisfy the "full" length of the novel as it was meant to be read.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Right on Dude!

Julie said...

Which one in the set was abridged?

Mat Landers said...

Julie, they abriged "War and Peace" by Tolstoy.

Julie said...

Do you think that you will try to read the full War and Peace? I've never tried to read it, but it looks like a bit of a challenge based on length.

Mat Landers said...

Of course! I already have a non-abridged copy. Now it is a matter of finding the time. :)