Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Penguin Classics Library Complete Collection

As far as book purchases go, if I could only purchase one single thing on the Internet, like say it was the last purchase I could ever make for books, I believe it would have to be The Penguin Classics Library Complete Collection: More than 1000 of the Greatest Classics (Paperback) from Amazon.com.

Coming in at $7,989.50 (40% off! $5,326.34 reduced) the set has 1082 titles. But hurry there's only 1 left! At least they offer free delivery!

Did I mention this blog takes donations?

You should read the 18 reviews if you get a chance. I like on the first review where the guy accurately describes that the collection is an "orgy for book lovers". The fact that it is 750 pounds of classic goodness just makes me drool.

Since offering this many titles as a bulk purchase is so unique there have been a number of stories on it, including by National Public Radio (NPR) and The New York Times.

You can also listen to the NPR audio from "All Things Considered" on August 24, 2005. I found it very interesting because they said they can't include all classics that they wanted to such as Faulkner or F. Scott Fitzgerald because of copyright issues.

Perhaps after I become rich or publish my first novel I'll make enough to purchase this and prominently display it in our library!

1 comments:

Megan said...

Hey Mat, do you think you could give me a list of the books included in this collection? No way do I have enough to buy it, but I'd still like to know what's in it. Thanks!